FO: Scandanavian Sugarskulls

Here it is!

While it is a bit of a complicated knit (you have to pay attention), it is a fun one. The combination of a gradient yarn and a cool design really keep things moving. You want to keep knitting to see the colour and picture emerge.

The gradient yarn was some handspun Mom gave me. I got just to the start of the green when I finished. It would have been nice to get through all the colours, but oh well. This works.  I may actually have enough left for another hat, but I won’t be knitting one any time soon.

Now, the rest of my Christmas hats should go much quicker. They are all worsted, and far less involved. And hopefully the doctor prescribes me some good meds this morning, so  I kick this sickness right out the door.


My camp-out on the couch continues…


At least I have good company. Though he insists on playing bed mice with my toes when I’m trying to nap.

I did manage to finish my hat, but I haven’t had enough energy to make it up to the sewing machine. And that’s bugging me, because I’ve just learned of two new babies on the way. One to a coworker out west, and one to a cousin! These babies need quilts!

But all I can do is think about what I want to do…


I have this cute fat quarter set in the stash – and there are so many possibilities with fat quarters. But it also came with this little panel…


I’m thinking maybe cut those squares apart, and surround them with some simple block sashing… what do you think?

For the second quilt, I’ve got this sweet little charm pack full of adorable little bears


I’m thinking maybe another Moda love… or something similar.

Either way… I can’t do anything until this darn virus passes. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s morphed into bronchitis… I’m back to the Dr. tomorrow for confirmation. Wish me luck!

Quilter’s got backs!

Thank you for your well wishes. I am recovering, though not as swiftly as I’d like. The fever and the aches are gone, but I’ve got a lingering cough and energy levels are still lower than I would like.

While  I was stuck on the couch last week, the doorbell rang once again, and there was another little pick-me-up for me!


Those fat quarter packs are for Mom… but there were some goodies underneath for me! A short while ago, Craftsy was having and ‘end of the bolt’ sale. The prices were so good it was hard to pass up – especially considering I had several quilt tops in need of backs.


These beautiful butterflies were so cute, and I think they’ll be perfect for my Cabins at Rainbow Creek quilt.  It’s quite a large chunk too, so they’re will probably be enough left for a baby blanket or two.


I thought this pretty floral fabric would work well with Scrappage Patch.


This cheery pink will help finish up Sam’s Kitty in the Sky with Diamonds.


And last… this gorgeous purple floral is for a top I haven’t even started yet! It will go with a Layer Cake I have in these fabrics.


After Christmas, Mom and I are going to do a little quilt-a-long with the Time to Sew quilt.



Bowled over

I was hoping to have at least one finished project today, but I was felled by the flu this week. While it involved lots of enforced couch time, I did even have enough energy to pick up the needles.

But my lovely neighbour Krista did pop by with a little pick-me-up…


A gorgeous yarn bowl she made for me!


Isn’t it so pretty?


And it’s already being put to good use. I’m on the mend and the needles are clicking again!


QotG check in

The Leader and Ender HSTs are really starting to pile up. And there’s a time in every L&E project where it ceases to become an L&E project and it goes into regular rotation.


I had a  feeling we were getting close to that with this quilt, so I decided it was time to do a count.  I have 76 cut and pressed, 158 ready to cut and press (I really need to get on that part!) and 18 still in scrap form, but ready to sew.

If I’ve done my math right, that gives me a total of 252 squares. Now to get the layout I need, the number of squares need to be divisible by 8. So I’ve still got a few more blocks to go before this one goes into the regular line up and I have to start a new L&E project.

Here’s where all my Quilts-on-the-Go stand:

  • Autumn a-whirl: Still watching for a good deal on batiks for some borders for this one.
  • Marseilles Stars: This is the one I showed you earlier this week. It’s going to take a bit. I’m trying to get my intersections and points as close to perfect as possible, so I’m only doing a couple stars at a time:
  • A quilt for Ty: This one you haven’t seen yet. It’s a commission from neighbour Krista for her stepson, but we’re still at the fabric picking stage. We’ve pulled a few from my stash, but we need to shopping for more. But the fabrics we have are holding their spot in a box so I don’t go too crazy starting projects and forget that I have this one on the dock.
  • Leader and Ender HSTs:  Getting close to finishing up all those HSTs. This one is going to be a crazy one!