FINALLY!!!! I can show you a (mostly) finished living room. I got tired of waiting for Dave to have time to help me move the furniture, so when he went to his Grandma’s last weekend, I did it myself.
The recliner is heavy enough, but let’s not talk about moving a sofa-bed by yourself, never mind my antique radio! Still, with much huffing and pufffing, I managed it. And here is the result.
If I’m remembering my measurements correctly, the room is about 13.5′ x 13.5′. A nice cozy size for the two of us. There are still things to be done – baseboard and cove trim, as well as a new window and window trim, but like Dave’s studio, it’s about 98% complete.
I absolutely love my cheery green walls. To be honest, it’s a little more eye-popping than the plan I had in my head. But I love it! Wit the dark toned furniture, and all my plants, I really think it’s the perfect shade.
The flooring is the same as Dave’s studio, and is much darker than I wanted, but I have to admit, it goes well with the furniture. Especially the radios. You can see my 1937 RCA Victor in the corner (Dave made me take the plants off it as soon as he got home). Under the TV is a 1950s Philco console. It’s another of Dave’s restorations and it has a radio and a turntable (both work). In the townhouse, it was hidden away in his studio. It’s nice to have a place to display it properly as he did such a beautiful job on the restoration.
And speaking of that TV. When we were dithering about putting an offer on the house (well Dave was dithering, I knew this was our house), one of the things I promised Dave was that he could upsize our TV. In the townhouse, we had a 37″ but Dave wanted bigger. The townhouse living room was too small for anything bigger, but I said if we got this house, he could go as big as he wanted. Happily, he stuck to a reasonable 50 inches. (Though I know he really wanted 72″).
Because we had to hang drywall anyway, Dave took advantage of the opportunity to run speaker wires for the surround system behind it, and install a conduit to house all the TV/Internet/Component cables. The little bit of wire you can see at ground level will all be hidden by baseboard. The system looks wireless, but actually isn’t! He’s very proud of that.
I do laugh when I look back and think that we expected to have all this done BEFORE we actually moved in (within two months). If we’d hadn’t had the long commute, other projects, and day jobs… we could have done it. Instead, it took us six months. But sitting here, in a room that’s coordinated and all mine… is a wonderful reward for all that work!
Here’s a little before and after
And here’s the journey that got us here…
Now I settle in for a winter of (mostly) quiet. The chaos can begin again in the Spring.