I’ve mentioned before, when start making a quilt, I have a tendency to fly by the seat of my pants. Sometimes I have a vague idea of the whole, but usually I’m just focused on the individual block.
That was the case with the star blocks for my latest nautical quilt.
I knew I wanted them to be similar to Kitten Cove (but with a slight twist). So I went ahead and cut everything for the blocks. Then I set them aside. When I got back to making them, I forgot that I had planned to make four-at-a-time HSTs, and ended up doing eight-at-a-time. This resulted in smaller blocks, but it also meant I would have enough for double the blocks.
No biggie I thought. Until I got them all done and started playing with layout. With four blocks, I would have had a 2×2 layout. But with eight, my only option was 2×4. It was too narrow, and too long.
Now I could have put vertical sashing and no horizontal sashing to widen it without adding length (like I did with Space Friends) but I just didn’t think it would look as good with this block. I started playing with other options, though they were limited, because I had a piece of fabric set aside for the backing – but I only had two yards of it. That meant I was limited on how wide I could go.
In the end, the best I could come up with was this:
But it still needed something for the centre.
Something that was NOT Burton!!!!
I toyed with a couple of ideas, and ended up using a little fabric from that backing piece (but not enough that I would not have enough for the back), and some navy stars I had set aside because I thought they’d work well as a border or binding.
As an afterthought, and so that the one different centre block wouldn’t look totally out of place, I went back and strategically snowballed some corners on the original blocks. That way when they came together at the corner stones, they’d create a little secondary pattern.
And I love the result!
Now it looks like it was all planned out that way from the very beginning! And nothing could be further from the truth!
Here’s a closer look at that backing fabric.
Little subtle grey whales! And there is enough of the navy stars for binding! I do so love it when a quilt comes together like this!
11 thoughts on “Sea-volution of a quilt”
You’ve got a sort of zen-type thing with your creations; they seem to come together out of the ether!
That’s true artistry, imho.
Just gorgeous!!!! You always come up with a solution and it works beautifully. I did like Lord Burton as a centerpiece.
Sometimes not having total control leaves room for this kind of creativity! Such a pretty quilt!
Well, I DID prefer Burton as the centerpiece, but this block is lovely as well. Seriously, I don’t know how you do it and always end up with such beautiful creations. I’m terrible at “fly by the seat of my pants” projects. Someone will snatch this quilt up right away.
What Betsy said ……….I fly by the seat of my pants and very often crash and burn. LOL
Just WOW!!! That end result is an awesome quilt. You certainly excel at “flying by the seat of your pants”. So creative.
Perfect! Love how you did this one Val and the fabrics are just so perfect together. Congratulations on another wonderful creation!!
I just love it!!! Quilting does make you think outside the box from time to time and you are really good at it.
Absolutely gorgeous and such a beautiful design!
It’s a beautiful quilt: I like the secondary design a lot. Nice job!
It turned out great! You made it work!