Mother Nature has finally decided to slow the roller coaster, and allow us a chance to start comfortably tackling the jobs that need doing around the yard.
Back in the fall, when Dave was fixing the windows on my shed, he told me that the ground behind the shed was at least two-feet taller than the front. I figured it was just years of leaf-litter built up (In the summer, the space between the shed and back fence was impassible from Virginia Creeper vines.)
I told him I would take care of it in the spring… and boy…. am I regretting that now…
The picture does not detail the true horror of it. There’s some leaf litter, there – yes… but underneath it, there’s vines upon roots, upons vines, and MORE vines, all tangled together! But there’s also garbage… piles and piles of garbage. Not household garbage, at least, but so far, I’ve found a pile of plastic sheeting, rope and twine, chunks of old carpet, several cinder blocks, broken bits of wood and metal, and old metal plant stand (which unfortunately wasn’t salvageable), all buried under at least 30 years of composted leaves and such. I worked at it for a full afternoon and barely scratched the surface.
This was obviously the old homeowners’ dumping ground. Out of sight… out of mind kind of thing.
I’m hoping to get it all cleared out this weekend… but I told Dave, I’m not making any promises. It’s a much bigger job than I thought.
One small bright spot. I did uncover a little bit of buried treasure.
It’s to far gone to be used as a lantern ever again… but Dave’s going to clean it up and give it a paint job, and I think it will make a fabulous little garden decoration.
Fingers crossed there’s more treasures somewhere in all that dirt!