I decided to take the overwhelming advice of all of you, and take a break from gift knitting to cast on something for myself.
The cooler evenings definitely have me thinking about autumn, so I figured now if the perfect time to cast on for Ursa. If I start now, she’ll definitely be done in time for fall.
And while it may look like I’ve made some good progress, I really should be much farther than this. Although the pattern is well-written, and pretty simple (I’d say advanced-beginner level), I have had to rip out and restart several times.
The first time, I wasn’t happy with how my half brioche stitches were looking. So riiiiiiiiiipppppp!. I cast on again and axed the brioche, using just plain ribbing instead… I got about halfway through the first ball of yarn, and decided I didn’t like the way my lifted increases were looking. So once again… riiiiipppppppppppp. Cast on again, used a KFB instead of a lifted increase, got all the way through the first ball… and realized I did too many increases. I was only supposed to be increasing before and after the raglan markers, but I was doing it at the centre back as well. So you guessed it… riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppp!
Now… I’m back on track and everything seems to be going smoothly. Fingers crossed. I should be joining in the round soon, and dividing at the underarms. After that, it should fly.
A note about the yarn: It’s a chunky knit, so I’m using Knit Picks Biggo in “Brass Heather”. The heathering in super subtle… like ninja-level subtle. You really have to look to see it. But it’s a nice colour none-the-less. And it is wonderful to work with. It’s a 50/50 superwash wool/acrylic blend and it’s like knitting with clouds. I’m loving it. I should be just as nice to wear!